Monday, March 10, 2008

(patterns: again)

….Patterns are indigenous to daily life like maps, patterns guide our habits, and movements, and inner clockwork, defining our personalities as they endlessly repeat and overlap….

-Graphic Design MFA Maryland Institute of Art

The Maryland Institute of Art basically summed up the gist of my exhibit where I tried to fuse Asian textile design to contemporary colors. One year ago, when I first decided to mount this exhibit, I was trying to look for a way to show my love for Indian and indonesian textiles, as well as Pacita Abad’s trapunta art. After much research, swatches and books, I thought to myself, I’ll just paint, and be open to be surprised. Sure enough I started with the long canvasses, and named them “pathways”, I literally felt as if I was –paving my way into myself, through every nook and cranny, and breezing through colors. I purposely studded my paintings with little patterns of traingles, circles and lines, reminiscent of the small things I do all the time, and how much I love to be a packrat. I love the texture of small details, like when you look at an ivory carving or miniatures. Soon enough, I was already finishing my pieces. Looking at the artworks, I could recount the small joys of the day, the ebb and the flow of the tide, the rise and setting of the sun as well as the fibonacci count of nature. I just wish I could share with you as much joy as I had painting my artworks.

No comments: